[AW]  Helpless Skies

Angus

N/A of N/A

4 mo y/o large Male
© Ellis

Speech: #3399ff

The night is dark and full of terrors.

Well, that's what he'd been told anyway.

The night was dark and full of terrors and the morning brought with it the hope and light of a brand new day. It was a den tale; one that his mother had told him and his litter mates every day since they'd been able to leave the den. 

Don't stray too far, she had said to him one particularly sunny morning with a smile.

Beware of the monsters, his sister had said as he edged closer and closer to the edge of the woods.

Those were just fairy tales, and Angus knew that. He knew that the moment his paw stepped on dry leaves and cracked brush. 

The first time he'd stepped into the wood, he hadn't strayed far. In fact, fear plagued him just enough that when a nearby deer stepped on a branch, he was running back to the safety of his mother's side. His brothers and sisters had laughed at him for it; poked jabs at his demands that he was an adventurer scared by a passing doe. 

When Angus approached the woods a second time, his mother had been beside him. She had smiled down upon him sweetly; her voice was as smooth as a spring wind against a babbling brook.

Don't be afraid, she had told him when they crossed the threshold from home into the unknown. You will one day know these ancient forests like the back of your paw and you will see truth in that this is all your home.

That had helped. His mother and litter mates would, in tow, spend the next few weeks learning of their expanded home from the den. They would grow and explore more; their area of play had grown from the sanctuary of the den to the edges of the wood where home was still in sight. You see, their mother had the confidence in them to follow the rules; to follow their noses and learn of their new expansion without daring to go past it.

So when Angus arose that fateful morning and began his trek out into the woods, he knew very well just how far he could go. He knew exactly where his father's scent ended and the darkness began. He knew...

He knew that his nose could not lie as the scent of a squirrel wafted into those small nasal passages and back out into the world. 

He knew that with it came the faint smell of blood. 

He knew that at a brave three and a half months he could start learning from his play how to hunt. If he could hunt, he could go farther; he could be like his father and adventure far beyond the reaches of their little sanctuary. Angus had licked his lips at the thought. Just a quick trip past the marker, fetch the dying creature, and bring it home. A present; a show of good faith that he was strong, capable, and not some scaredy pup too afraid to wander beyond his parent's walls.

So he took a step. And then another. And then a few more steps until the den was just out of sight. His nose had plunged to the ground in search of his trophy- in search of the next advancement in his life. He'd show them, all of them, that he was more than just a child. He was a brave adventurer setting out on a quick trip to bring back something for the whole family. With nose to the ground and the only thought of pleasing on his mind, Angus walked.

In fact, he walked until the sun began to hang low in the sky. When he did finally stop, he had come to several realizations.j

The first; he had long since lost track of that squirrel. In fact, his nose had picked up on several different scents between his original target and where he ended up.

The second; it was getting dark, and fast. His head had swung up, green eyes frantically looking around. The world was growing dark, and Angus's third realization hit him harder than the other two:

He was lost.

Panic flooded his bones. It was the type of panic one would experience upon hearing the death of a relative, or the sudden disappearance of a pet. It was that kind of panic that seeped from the brain into every last nerve ending, radiating back up to remind the brain of its fight or flight reflex. An owl screeched overhead and Angus felt his heart nearly burst through his chest. Being scared, was to be put extremely mildly. The boy was terrified. 

So he ran. He ran his little bones to the brink of snapping under the weight of his fear; eyes wide, heart pounding. Every last noise that came from a growing shadow helped direct the young child through thickets and under fallen trees. 

The night was dark and full of monsters.

Yet when Angus had managed to stop, he had come to learn something new: the morning came with the promise of nothing, and the hope that his family was out looking for him.

Calm yourself, he thought through shaky breaths, they'll find you. You'll find them. You're an adventurer. You aren't scared; being scared is for pups. You're almost four months- you're an adult. You can do this.

The world around him was different now; even the air smelled sweeter than normal. Angus's nose perked at the smell of the trees; green eyes looking around to try and give himself a marker. Where was he? The answer was unknown, but the boy knew that in order to get home, he was going to need to be brave; to be strong. He had to prove that he was, in fact, an adventurer and capable of being more adult than his parents or litter mates had thought. 

So he set out; his grand adventure opening up before him. It had served its purposes, and for the next two weeks he had found himself coming face to face with several wolves eager to help him out. one had been named Ivaylo; and Angus had been fond of her. She was much older than him, and he had asked her if she would accompany him to find his parents. They walked together, for a time, before parting ways. She had found a home, and Angus had decided that even though she would be a sister to him for life- he had to continue trying. He kept walking, belly full and spirits higher than what they had been in some time. Angus had grown into his fourth month by the time he and Ivaylo had separated paths, and with a new month ticked into his metaphorical belt, a new surge of confidence and positivity flowed through his veins.

That parting was, of course, six days ago.

Now, Angus stands in a new forest with unfamiliar sounds and smells. His heart racing as he looks around at the world he's found himself in and the strange forest with looming trees and the scent of wolves flowing throughout the air. This is not home; this is nowhere close to it, but something feels different. 

He can feel it just below his feet.

It feels...magical. It feels...powerful. It feels...

It feels as if his stomach is about to curl up into a knot from hunger. 

He had eaten scraps, naturally, as he had walked, but the desire for a full feast had slowly crept back into his mind.

If he could just get a meal...then he could continue on his journey. Or perhaps, if he could find one of these wolves that overstimulated his nose, they could help him find his parents, and perhaps a meal.

"Hello?" he calls out into the unknown, "is anybody there?"

And I don't mind
If it's me you need to turn to
We'll get by
It's the heart that really matters in the end

Manfried

of

8 y/o xlarge Male
Zandra, female spotted skunk
© Ginga

The cougars wouldn't get away that easy, was what he was thinking when he started tracking them throw the forest. He was well outside of the territory now and he knew it but part of him wouldn't let go. His mind wouldn't call it quits even after losing the scent miles back. His familiar was right on his heels the whole time too. Squealing her displeasure in his ears and nagging him to return to his home. "This is silly nonsense to chase them this far from home." She snorted at him, her black and white spotted pelt dappling under the canopy of trees. 

The sun was barely reaching the middle of the sky now and he was finding it harder and harder to keep on the right track between her squabbling and his stomach roaring in his ears. With a sigh of discontent he turned on Zandra and just stared at her. She knew exactly what he was trying to say without saying it out loud. Her ears flattening against her skull in the I hate you kind of way. "Fine have it your way." She snorted and headed north away from his brutish gaze. "Thank the gods.." He sighed out loud and relaxed a bit.

Soon enough the scent of a young doe, not his particular fancy but she was alone and probably lost in the woods. He matched her pace but hid in the shadows of the trees. His pelt blending into the trunks and earth just perfectly. It took nothing for him to entrance the sad thing and then take her down. He would have just began to eat her if a voice hadn't of spooked him. He didn't even scent the other until after the voice echoed in her ears. "hello?" Manny waited to see where it came from, his ears perked and stretching out for any sound. "is anyone there?" He caught it coming from a few paces north of him. It sounded like a young one but he could never be sure anymore. 

Slowly he rose from his kill and let his voice ring out clear to the intruder. "Yes. I am here." He roared almost, not meaning to sound intimidating but that was just who he was. A small squabbling skunk came wandering out of the bushes toward him and he rolled his eyes at her. "No Zandra I have no idea who it is." He growled down softly toward her, allowing some of his affectionate side to show. The skunk then rose to her hind paws trying to get a better look. "Then Im going to go see." She muttered before moving toward the direction of the boy. Her small spotted body wandering through the bushes that stood between them. She was a stubborn thing but most would call her dangerous too. "Its just a young thing Manny.." She squealed and waited there, staring at him. 

Familiar talking / Manny Talking

Angus

N/A of N/A

4 mo y/o large Male
© Ellis

Speech: #3399ff

Yes. I am here.

The voice came from the south; Angus's body already turning to face the voice that boomed high above the brush and trees. Green eyes would behold the face of a skunk as they pressed their face through the branch of a nearby bush. His brows furrowed as the creature turned, calling out to another, for whom Angus could only assume was the first voice.

It's just a young thing, Manny...it said.

Angus's ears perked as he followed behind the smaller creature, popping out directly in front of the pair.

"O-oh," he said, eyes wide as he stared up at the hulking mass of a wolf and the skunk that stood nearby.

"H-hello, sir! I'm, I'm Angus!" He did his best to hide his uncertainty, and forced a smile. He even managed to get his tail to wag.

"I'm looking for my parents. I uh, I-I-I sort of got myself lost."

The once forced smile turned sheepish as his head lowered and his shoulders shrugged. How silly, really, but if there was one thing Angus knew, it was that adults knew other adults and that eventually, one of those adults would lead him home.

Angus took a step forward and sat down. He could feel, slowly, the fear drip from his chest and down to his paws as if it were water trickling into the ground. Sure, this wolf seemed large, and yes, intimidating, but there was something else Angus could tell in his eyes that allowed him to settle. Was it his eyes? Or was it the skunk next to him. His attention snapped to the smaller creature.

He'd seen a skunk once before, but never this close. In fact, when he had met his first skunk, they had been just on the edge of the wood near the den. His mother had chuckled and allowed them to watch the family waddle across the clearing and back into the brush.

Never disrespect a skunk, she had said. Angus's nose twitched as he dipped his little head.

"I, I, I'm sorry if I'm interrupting something," he added quickly. 

And I don't mind
If it's me you need to turn to
We'll get by
It's the heart that really matters in the end

Manfried

of

8 y/o xlarge Male
Zandra, female spotted skunk
© Ginga

He was a little uneasy when his familiar just blatantly walked toward the voice. His body anticipating a fight but his eyes eager to see beyond the brush ahead. When he heard her shrill voice call out to a stranger he froze for a moment unable to comprehend the idea of a young one out here alone. His mind flashing back to the image of his stillbirths laying pale and bloody on the ground. He stared at the young pup for a moment before the voice of him registered somewhere in his brain and brought him back to the present. ...I'm, I'm Angus!"  He stuttered which cause a tinge of a smile to flicker over his lips for a moment, then vanish to a stoic face. 

Honestly he didn't know what to say or even if he should believe the little fellow. He sure seemed earnest but Manny had tons of experience dealing with thieves and liars. Yet there was something- His thoughts were interrupted by a plentiful amount of happy squeals of his little companion. "Oh dear, Do they live nearby? Maybe up in those peaks?" She squeaked and pointed to the mountain tips a little ways off. "Or maybe you come from outside Nidria! Do you have any powers... Any special quirks?" The little spotted skunk got up and personal with the pup sniffing him over and making sure the poor thing wasn't harmed. This brought a smile to the old man's jaw, a soft one he had barely used before. He was reminded of the way you are supposed to greet a lost child and how you should be thinking when interacting with them. Slowly he lowered his guard and let his tail sink to a relaxed position, his body seeming to do the same with a soft huff. 

"You say you have lost your parents? How long ago?" He paused and looked to his fresh kill and then back to the scrawny boy. "I'm betting you have eaten something this healthy in a while.. Come and eat boy." He muttered his command as if to make it less scary. He took took a seat next to the kill and waited with his head cocked to the side. He still had no idea what to think of this young one yet but if he has survived this long.. Maybe he was a tough little thing after all. "Oh good idea Manny! Please Angus come and eat. I'm sure you are hungry after the journey you've had. Please tell us more while you eat. Me and Manny will help you to the best of our abilities to find your folks." Manny just shook his head at the ramblings of his familiar. He wondered if she ever realized what she sounded like to everyone else.

Familiar talking / Manny Talking
@Angus

Hosting by Kaons. Skin by Selkie. Banner by Nikkayla.